Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Thinking About Colors!

Some days are just a little gloomy -- either because of the weather, or because of our mood. One of the things I do to lift my spirits on days like that is to pay attention to colors. I do this in all kinds of ways. If I am driving and it is hazy or gray outside, I might notice the brighter colors and how they stand out. Soon I am traveling in a much more cheerful world! The other day I spotted hot pink smiley flags at a car dealership, bright billboards, trucks that were designed in vivid colors, and buildings that were painted in unlikely wild colors. Have you ever noticed the gift that pine trees give us in the Winter by staying green all year round? If I am driving a long stretch of highway, I often pick out the pine trees as my color treat among all the bare branches of the other trees.

I also like to pay attention to how colors look with each other. Orange is not my favorite color until it is next to hot pink, and then wowee! Looking at color combinations is a great thing to do on a day when I need distractions or to lift my awareness factor. Or I might pick just one color and look for it all day long -- that's a great way to develop a friendly attachment to a color! I check it out in all it's shades and variations.

Having conversations about colors can be fascinating. Asking someone to tell you their favorite color or colors can often spark a really interesting exchange of color opinions. I love to ask people about their least favorite color. I feel guilty to not like orange because we are so lucky to have colors at all, so I am always trying ways to increase my affection for it. Some days I can groove into the orange idea -- other days, not so much!

I enjoy dressing in bright colors. Sometimes I dress in them because I am in a great mood -- other times because I am trying to get in a great mood! The other day I was wearing a bright blue coat, a colorful striped scarf, jeans, and wildly designed boots at a restaurant. A gentleman came up to me and said, "You are the most colorful person I am going to see all day!"

Aren't you glad we don't live in a black and white world?


No comments:

Post a Comment