Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Extended Thinking

I try to remember to do extended thinking as I proceed through my day. Often my first thought or reaction is not the smartest or best one for me, so I try to keep on thinking of other alternatives. For example, if I am looking at a piece of pie, my first thought is always to want to devour it and be happy in the moment. But if I do extended thinking, I might remember that I also have some really delicious tangerines that might even taste better and be even more fun to eat. Often, I can end up with a happier choice. This works with shopping too. I might be momentarily carried away with the notion that I can't live without buying something, but if I think a few steps more, I can logically remember that I have similar things already at home, I can borrow that book from the library, or I can even wait a while to make that purchase.

If someone asks me to do something, I used to say yes too frequently and consider the consequences later. Now I tell them I'll let them know later. This gives me the time to consider all the angles and give careful consideration to whether I really want to say yes, or if no would be a better answer. Then, even if I say no, I am better prepared to represent myself.

Remembering to do extended thinking is a challenge because I am an enthusiastic person and can get swept away easily. But when I do remember, and take some time with my decisions, I always end up happier and more proud of myself. Even if I decide to go with my first impulse, it feels good to take the time to consider some options.

No comments:

Post a Comment